Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Dreams of fluffy blankets and frozen toes

My favorite thing about having seasons is the changing over between them. Because after a long, cold, gray winter, that first moment of sunny, green, warm spring is a revelation.

And after months of heat, humidity and tank tops, who doesn't love pulling on a brand new sweater in September or October?

So okay. There's not quite the same range of difference between winter and summer around these parts. It's November, and I'm still wandering around in tank tops and shorts, and sleeping with the fan on at night.

I won't deny that there were cold February days in DC that prompted me to muse dreamily of living in California or else anyplace where I'd never contemplate walking down the street with my eyes closed because the frigid air was stinging my corneas.

But I miss being cold.

I miss wearing long sleeves. Or hell, long pants.

I miss snuggling under blankets and never wanting to get out.

I miss the relief of stepping inside and shutting the door behind you, finally able to shed layers of hats, scarves, gloves, and coats.

But in the interest of staying positive, and also of giving credit where it's due, I will admit that, if you were inclined to notice, you'd have to admit that we have clearly changed seasons.

This may not be autumn as I've been used to recognizing it, but the signs are there.

Last week, I turned the water heater back on. After months of frosty showers (twice a day, at least, and easily the best moments of any day) I found that I didn't want to submerge myself in cold water anymore.

And for the past couple of weeks, I've been able to sit in my living room at night with the balcony door shut. It can be a bit stuffy, but it's bearable. And it also means fewer mosquitoes get inside.

Speaking of which, and last night's THREE mosquitoes in the mosquito net notwithstanding, there are fewer mosquitoes in general. Although I'm not ready to declare victory on that one, because THREE MOSQUITOES. IN MY MOSQUITO NET. It was brutal.

I know there's more to come. When I arrived here last February, I wore long sleeves and closed shoes and slept with a blanket. It seems like a distant dream, but I have faith that it'll happen again.

*********

In the meantime, I have to admit, that this EVERY DAY blogging thing is NOT easy.

I know you all believe me when I tell you that I'm an exciting adventurer of international fame, and my every moment is filled with unbelievable moments of discovery and wonder.

But I gotta come clean. Most days, my life is pretty... boring.

So to kick off Week Two of the Incredible NaBloPoMo Challenge, I'm instigating:

Naomi's Blog: Full Disclosure

Email me or comment with questions, and I promise to answer every one. Questions about life in Senegal? Obscure Senegalese Muslim holidays? My social life? My professional life? Whether those pants *really* flatter your figure?

Full disclosure.

Yeah, I know, you probably don't have any questions. But try to think of one. It'd be a mitzvah!

8 Comments:

Blogger a.maria said...

uh yeah. blog a day sucks. the big time.

:)

i feel ya.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

You wrote a few months back about being in a relationship with a Senegalese man. Do you have any current prospects? How is the love life? Do you miss dating American men?

11:47 AM  
Blogger LeahC said...

Is life different for women there than in the states? Since I started reading recently...what is your job there?

(Love your blog by the way)

11:56 AM  
Blogger Habeela said...

Two questions in one: what is favorite and least favorite thing about living in Senegal?

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How did you land in Senegal? Did you find work prospects first? Didn't you mention you write for Voice of America? How did you get that gig? I'm a freelance writer and former newspaper reporter with a hankering to live abroad, so I'd hope to do the same. You're a great writer! Thanks for your blog!

2:49 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

Did you know the president of Iran recently visited Senegal (I just found out tonight... Brother was showing me his website)? Which means that my two favorite dictators have visited your fine country. Does that excite you as much as it does me?

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi (or na nga def since u have been in the country for a while now lol)
I am a senegalese student in the States and I love to read ur blog whenever I feel too homesick (which is a lot these days since I have not been home in years). I hope all is well with you over there. U live right next to my neighborhood by the way (i.e. Sacre-Coeur II).

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How's the food in Senegal? :)

I'll bookmark you to find out the answer.. I'm just trying to visit as many of the NaBloPoMo blogs as I can and I thought I'd say hi, I liked your blog.. :)

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home