Monday, November 13, 2006

Scenes from my world

I'm working on a long posting about why I'm in Senegal and what I'm doing here.

Well, I'm working on figuring out why I'm in Senegal and what I'm doing here. Then I'll write the post.

A full day power cut and a bit of blogging burn out means today: pictures.

First off, the view from my bedroom window.
View from my bedroom window

And really, if you want to know why I'm in Senegal, that's as good a reason as any.

Of course, we should probably temper that reality with the view from the balcony at the front of the apartment.
Construction Zone

After months of (very loud) demolition, they've now built almost the entire house in the space of about two weeks. Rumor has it, the owner was getting antsy. And considering these boys now work on Sundays, I think I believe it.

Fire
Meet Fire, or Ahmadi, as he's also known. Neither of which are his real names. He is a constant presence in our neighborhood. A relative of Naw's I believe, with no job or prospect of one, it seems. But he's friendly and funny and makes the best attaya (very sweet, strong Senegalese tea).

And he's desperate for an American wife. Any takers?

And of course, the infamous Naw.
The Infamous Naw

Sitting in front of his shop, swatting at mosquitoes. He lets me jaay (sell) sometimes. Ostensibly to give me a chance to practice my Wolof, but also because it is a never-ending source of hilarity for all involved.

Click on any of the photos for a link to my flickr page, where there are more photos to be seen.

1 Comments:

Blogger LeahC said...

the view out of your bedroom window is spectacular!

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home