Tuesday, May 31, 2005

I am a very bad blogger

Soooooo….

It’s been a while, huh.

Actually, it’s been a really crazy week. Kind of traumatic really.

I was working late one night, and out of nowhere a deranged b-movie actor ambushed me and buried me alive in a plexiglass coffin, my only hope for survival resting with my super-sleuthy friends and coworkers.

Oh wait, that wasn’t me. That was the CSI season finale. I do get confused sometimes.

Actually, there was a bunch of family stuff going on. See, my father killed my mother last year, but it turned out to be her clone. Meanwhile, my evil aunt had imprisoned my mother and coerced her help to craft a doomsday device that she was planning imminently to unleash on the world. So after I rescued my mother, she, my father, my half-sister, and my fiancé had to disable the device and, well, you don’t need to know the sordid details, but suffice it to say, my therapist is shopping for jaguars as we speak.

Or no, that was the Alias season finale.

Hmm… Was I combating a mysterious evil cloud on a deserted island on the South Pacific? Nope… Did the ex-wife of my brain surgeon boyfriend who is also my boss show up at the hospital where I am an intern? No…. And I'm pretty sure I wasn't crowned America's Next Top Model, either.

So, what was I doing all week? I just can’t imagine.

****

The weekend, however, now that was fun.

But you'll have to wait for my next post to read about it. Which will be sooner than next week, I promise. It's hard to catch up after staying away for so long.

Let's never stay apart like this again. Best friends forever?

****

In running news, the storied “taper” period has begun, and I’m not sure how I feel about it. Aside from the clichéd fear of losing my hard-won stamina during almost a full month of taking it easy (I get it, my body needs rest, everybody does it, it’s better this way, but still) I’m just not sure how well I’m going to do with this fake resting.

After all the build-up to the 20-mile run, both in training and hype, this whole, now-you-run-but-not-as-much-but-not-too-little-either thing seems anticlimactic. And the more they tell me that I need to rest, the more I think, “so what am I doing all this running for?”

And, for those keeping track at home, I’ve discovered a new ache. Anna, I’ll take you up on that offer to name this one. Go wild. It is, sadly, a pain in my ass. Or, if you want to be polite, my lower back. I’ve been stretching and doing some exercises to strengthen my back and stomach, which have helped, so I’m not particularly worried. Funny how running for nearly four hours doesn’t leave you feeling particularly spry.

4 Comments:

Blogger Denise said...

You taper physically so that you can start to psych yourself up mentally, right? I'm still here, cheering you on from the sidelines!

5:50 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Glad to see your update! So many exciting things that happened in your life (ie. TV) during the last week :-) I've heard that the taper before the *big* race isn't much fun...hang in there and know that it's the best thing for your body!

PS...Remember BFF (a reference to your post above)? That brings back memories from earlier years :-)

8:46 PM  
Blogger David said...

Buttomineosis. Being too much of your own pain in the ass.

9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, taper madness. And it's just the beginning. Wait until the paranoia kicks in. You will obsess about this minor ache, that sniffly nose and those additional pounds. As race day nears you will be preoccupied by the weather at the marathon course. Don't forget to check and recheck your the packing list five bazillion times. (You DO have a packing list, don't you?) But it's all in good fun, right?

The taper madness was the thing I was least prepared for in the marathon training. Just remember that you ran 20 miles so you really are ready. You can't lose all of your endurance in two or three weeks. In fact, the rest will enhance your endurance. Even though you may feel bloated at some point remember that the weight gain is merely the glycogen being stored in your liver and muscles along with a significant amount of water.

I know you will do this in a spectacular fashion. I can't wait to read about it.

11:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home