Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Meh.

Yesterday?

Deliriously happy.

I woke up early for a short workout, because I had lazed away the entire Sunday eating sugary cereal and not doing my recovery run, among all the other things I was not doing. (In the plus column for Sunday, after an entire day on the couch, and I wish I was exaggerating, I found myself with energy to spare at 11 pm, so I scrubbed my bathroom and the inside of my microwave, and cleaned the top of my fridge, and…. Okay, I know that all sounds a little OCD, but actually, it was entirely necessary, and had been put off for too long.)

There was a new leaf, and I had turned it over. I had a new plan, which included eating better and waking up early to exercise. And weight training! And keeping my apartment as shiny and clean as it was right then! And saving the world from brain-gobbling zombies! (You know, if it came up.)

Today?

Not so much.

The plan: wake up early for a run. Go to work. Eat well. Return home and vacuum (the part of my midnight cleaning frenzy that didn’t happen. Because even if my neighbor is rude enough to practice his guitar late at night, I am not rude enough to inflict my vacuuming on him or anyone else). Then go to the 7:30 weight training class that I used to love.

That’s right. TWO workouts. In a SINGLE day.

What really happened: I woke up early. Got out of bed. Got back into bed. Slept until 8:15, and then scrambled to get to work on time.

Why is it so easy to see the mistake but so hard to do the right thing? (You know, one of these days, I really am going to write that Self-Help book. I’ve even got a title for it. Ready? The Road to Happiness is 26.2 Miles. Is that brilliant or what?) (Did I already make that joke? I’m losing it people.)

I know from plenty of experience that even when I don’t feel like running, if I put on my running shoes and walk out the door, somehow I manage to feel like running. Or even if I don’t, it’s too late, because I’m already running.

But at 6:30 am? Couldn’t manage it.

So I slept. And now I regret it. Because now I have to run after work.

At least the smarter part of my brain is awake now, so that when the instinctual lazy voice whines “running? That doesn’t sound like fun! Why would you want to do that?", the other part can say, “You like running. It feels good. It’s a nice day. Just get your ass in gear and go already.” Also, it says, “You’re having trouble motivating today. Why don’t you call your friend and run with her.”

Which I did. And we will. Woohoo.

And maybe I’ll even do the weight class after all. (Plus, I hear there’s a pig in Scotland who can fly.)

****

I think part of the reason I’ve been having trouble motivating to run lately is a food issue.

I think I’m not eating enough. Or at least, not enough of the right stuff. I bring my snacks to work and I eat them at various points of the day so that I’m never hungry. But I don’t think they’re fueling me the way they should. Every day by mid-afternoon, I get tired. Not sleepy, but weary. And that’s when my brain starts saying, “and you want to run when you feel like this, why?”

I don’t know if I need more carbs or more protein or more cookies, or what, but it’s very frustrating.

Actually, you all are very smart people, so maybe you can help me.

Here’s what I usually eat before 3 pm:
Breakfast: Cereal with skim milk (a BIG bowl with lots of milk)
Snack 1: Banana
Lunch: Varies, but always includes some kind of protein and carbs (like a chicken breast in a sandwich, or black beans, or sometimes sushi, or tuna and chickpeas on a salad)
Snack 2: fruit of some kind or a granola bar
Snack 3: apple (this might happen closer to 4 pm)

What do you think? More protein maybe? What would be a good snack for the afternoon that has protein in it but isn’t too caloric/fattening?

I dunno. I suppose it would help if I did one of those food diary things that tracked calories and nutrients and stuff, but that sounds like a lot of work.

5 Comments:

Blogger Riona said...

I have come to depend on the Organic Food Bar. They're delicious but taste more like real food and less like a candy bar than, say, the Lunas. They're about 340 calories, but there is a smaller version of the Almond & Flax one that's 170, and ideal for snacks. Whole Foods stocks them, if there's one near you.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Noames said...

Thanks, guys. This is really helpful. I'll hit the store and get some cheese (cottage or string) and try one of those food bar thingies.

The cereal is usually a blend of cheerios, shredded spoonfuls (a chex-like cereal), frosted mini-wheats, and topped with some panda puffs (an organic peanut butter crunchy cereal that I adore).

Any other suggestions would be very, very welcome.

9:50 AM  
Blogger David said...

For a little protein I always recommend golden raisins on the cereal ... and blueberries, grapes or strawberries.
Everything else sounds good.

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yup, more protein. Try to get some nuts or something into the cereal. Also, perhaps yogurt for one of the snacks (if you aren't sensitive to dairy). What's dinner like? Balance of carbs & protein?

Otherwise, looks good.

Thanks for dropping by my journal to share your warm wishes.

1:09 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Definitely protein. I've perked up so much this week since the protein started flowing, it's not funny.

Tuna. Cottage cheese. Hell, I ended up with a pack of those South Beach Diet cereal bars and they're not half bad. There are also low-carb whey-powder drink mixes out there; I picked up a package on a whim from Whole Foods and while it was expensive, it also makes a TON of chocolate shake, and I find it to be yummy.

Also, regarding non-snack meals: EAT MORE MEAT.

I've started to get paranoid that people don't eat enough protein. Dear God, what has this diet done to me?

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home