Friday, May 06, 2005

Stop the madness!

Ask and ye shall receive, that's what I always say.

I said:

I want to have workouts that are just about sweating for forty-five minutes or an hour and don’t leave me tired three days later.

The Universe said:

M'kay.

Last night I went to the Team in Training track workout** (six yassos, all around 4:00 minutes, and I jogged the recovery lap instead of walking it, so go me). As I was stretching afterwards, I started chatting with Coach Ironman about this weekend, and how I was running a 10K on Sunday, and that I thought maybe I should do a shorter run on Saturday in preparation. In my head, I was thinking 10 miles instead of 14.

And he immediately said that I shouldn't even think about doing the full long run on Saturday. In fact, said he, I should probably not do more than, and here he paused to consider, three or four miles.

Three or four miles?

How amazing would that be? I wouldn't even have to go to the group run for that. I could sleep in and run a leisurely loop around my neighborhood, in full sunlight, without being exhausted from work or the previous day's exhertions, and maybe even head to the gym afterwards for some strenth training. Doesn't that just sound heavenly?

Who am I, that what I just described sounds heavenly?

Anyway, I think this sounds like a perfect way to spend my Saturday. And I have another "low mileage" run next Saturday to get me ready for the 20 miler that's coming.

Now if only I can manage not to need alcohol to drown out the tiny voice in my head that's screaming, "Are you crazy? You're just going to skip a long run? Well I guess you were never serious about this marathon thing, because now you're just quitting for no good reason. Loser."

****

Meanwhile, since the universe is feeling all friendly these days, I thought I'd make another teeny-tiny request.

Enough with the races already.

I loved the 5K last weekend. And I'm really glad to be running the10K on Sunday.

But that was plenty. I did not need to be talked into that 3 mile race for Wednesday before work.

It's a special race that's only for members of Congress, the judiciary, the executive branch and the media, and, as it happens, I'm a member of the media. My company enters two teams every year, and last year the "fast" team came in first.

Well, this year, one of the team members has injured herself and can't run. But if she can't fill her spot, the entire team gets eliminated, and they've all been planning this for months, and so she heard that I'm a runner and begged me to fill in for her. Of course, I'm not a runner, I'm more of a "runner," and I'm already pretty fully booked, but... I'm a sucker for this kind of thing. I get to run with really cool people from work in a race that's for "insiders" only, and I get to be affiliated with a team that might win.

How could I say no?

I'm going to be on the "slow" team, so my time doesn't matter (they say, and I'm holding them to it).

Too bad Tim won't be there to pace me.

But this is it. No more races until the marathon. I mean it.


** Tim came too. How long do you think before he signs up for a Team in Training marathon? I’m thinking of starting a pool. $1/slot. Split the proceeds with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, natch.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Hey Naomi....there's this race tomorrow I think you should enter...just kiddin :-) All I can say is, I hope that you're getting cool T-shirts for all these races! Enjoy your "easy" day tomorrow...

8:03 PM  
Blogger David said...

I think a full race report dropping all kinds of well known names will make you Queen of the RBF Universe for a week at least. Please tell.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Noames said...

I am getting cool t-shirts, and it's very exciting. Plus, this morning felt luxuriously lazy--and I still ran 5 miles. I love how fit I feel.

But now I'd better go brush up on my politcos so I can so I can give a full report from Wednesday. What does Bill Frist look like again?

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can you post more pictures?

I think I have a huge crush on you and need more data...

12:09 PM  
Blogger Noames said...

What, my sparkling wit and lightening fast times weren't enough to convince you?

Anyway, I don't answer requests of possibly creepy anonymous stalker types. Seems prudent.

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, the wit is bringing me back to read more. Lightening fast? Have you ran some other times you have not posted yet?

I liked the rain picture, oddly enough I found it very attractive...

I'm actually training for my first Marathon as well and its funny how many things you are writing about resonates with me.

Mine is the end of July, so ladies first...

--possibly creepy (but not actually at all) anonymous stalker type

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home