Friday, April 29, 2005

Think of me with pity...

... tomorrow morning, when you're snuggling under the covers.

There are many things that I like about training with a group, and foremost on that list is our Saturday morning group runs. I may complain about how early they are (have I mentioned that we meet at 7 am? And how that requires me to leave the house at an hour that starts with 6? Which requires me to wake up at an hour that starts with 5? Yeah, I'm still not cool with that.).

But I really like the appointment aspect of it. There is no procrastination. None of this, "I'll just go after I rest a bit." No, "I'll just do it tomorrow." I either get my butt to the appropriate parking lot at 7 am, or I don't get there at all. And then I either run the unholy distance on my own or I don't run it at all. And neither of the latter options is going to fly, if I'm going to get through this marathon with any hope of retaining my sanity. I may skip a weekday run, but the thought of skipping a long run fills me with dread.

Which means that even when I oversleep (which I never do, especially not for the last two weeks straight), I leap out of bed, dump gatorade in my water belt doodad, grab a granola bar, and haul ass.

It's gotten me through many a new and scary distance, and it'll get me through this marathon.

However.

Tomorrow's forecast?

It's filled with pictures like this:



and this:



18 miles people. That's a good four hours of running. In the rain. Uphill. Both ways. Barefoot. Chased by angry dogs.

Okay, maybe not those last things. But it will be wet and muddy and did I mention raininng? Because it will be. Raining, that is.

I will do the run. But do not expect me to take it gracefully. I am not British, people, and my upper lip is decidedly not stiff.

10 Comments:

Blogger :) said...

You will be fine...I don't even think you will melt! Just think how good you feel when you check 18 miles off of your to-do list for tomorrow...

Have fun too!

5:17 PM  
Blogger rob said...

hey feel good, if you're planning 18 miles
the next step is to get out there and start
enjoy
if it rains, ok enjoy a bit less
perhaps lots less
-even the Brits can have a good complain , i remember running a 16 last year and getting caught in a downpour -no stiff upper lip - just miserable
-but i did manage a marathon in June last year
and planning for June this year
rob in North Wales Uk
www.blogmold.blogspot

7:10 PM  
Blogger rob said...

hey feel good, if you're planning 18 miles
the next step is to get out there and start
enjoy
if it rains, ok enjoy a bit less
perhaps lots less
-even the Brits can have a good complain , i remember running a 16 last year and getting caught in a downpour -no stiff upper lip - just miserable
-but i did manage a marathon in June last year
and planning for June this year
rob in North Wales Uk
www.blogmold.blogspot

7:10 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Bask in the radiance of my intense admiration, then. I am eyeing my budget and trying to figure out if I could afford $75 for 10K training that would start in May. This is directly your fault. That, and a charming woman who referred to me as a runner today (which is so different from my concept of myself as "chick who runs in a desperate attempt to keep her ass from catching up and re-attaching).

I admire you greatly for running in the rain. And for running six times further than I currently can. Yay, you!

7:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

blech. Running in rain sucks, even if only for like 25 minutes!

But I guess it's preparation in case of rain for the big day, right?

Anyway in case you feel better I have to get up somewhat early (definitely at least by the time you'd actually be running) in order to get out to the suburbs to design/order/buy our wedding bands. That's easier than running but I'll be up early. And in a way I'll be envious of your exercise. I did 50 min of cardio today on 2 different machines and it felt great afterwards. I can only imagine how 18 miles would feel. I'm very impressed! Keep up the hard work.

--ksledge

8:05 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Damn that weather! I was supposed to do my long run for the week tomorrow (70 minutes), but after looking at that forecast, I decided to get it over with tonight. Best of luck...you'll feel great when it's over!

8:34 PM  
Blogger David said...

Bless those running groups. They keep you honest and on course. And, like many fine upstanding Americans who rubber neck at car wrecks, there's a degree of survivor mentality running long with groups. As in "who's gonna drop today?" or "...pull a hammy?". It won't be you. Drip on.

6:10 AM  
Blogger Noames said...

Thank you all for the encouragement. I did not in fact melt, It was actually a really good run, despite the rain, and I finished in 3 hours and 23 minutes. I'll post more about it later, but I wanted to let you know how much I appreciated the comments.

Katherine, waking up early to design wedding bands? Definitely not the same thing. But exciting for you!

Meg, that's excellent about the 10K. I look forward to reading about it on your blog.

Anyway, I'm not sure I feel great yet (sore, wet, tired, sure, but great?), but an afternoon of soup, hot chocolate, and watching movies will definitely help.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

You are my running hero - good for you!

7:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

18 miles! Woohoo!!! In less than 3 1/2 hours too.

Now you KNOW you can do it. If you've run 18 then you definitely can do the whole thing.

1:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home