Friday, September 30, 2005

Gah

So Peace Corps interview was yesterday. They have nominated me to a program in rural West Africa. Well, it's rural, and Africa, and requires French, so unless it's Madagascar, it's West Africa. Next is the health evaluation and the background check, and assuming all goes well, they will officially "invite" me to a specific country.

Only problem is, I won't leave until June.

June. That's, like, a million years from now. And, when you factor the three months of training in, that means I won't start for a year. And why am I waiting around for a year to teach English to teachers in rural West Africa, when what I *want* to do is be a journalist based in a city in Southern Africa. Actually, I'm flexible on the city/rural thing, and I'm flexible on the western/southern thing, but ultimately, I don't have a driving desire to be a teacher, as wonderful, worthyand worthwhile a job as that is.

Of course, I don't really think I have the *option* of being a journalist in Africa, in as much as I have yet to see a job posting for that, and I fear that even one finally appeared, I'd be competing with someone who was, you know, actually qualified.

This year cannNOT be about waiting to go to Africa. It either has to be about something else, while I wait, or I have to leave sooner.

So I'm running the Army 10-miiler on Sunday. My friend registered but can't run, so I'm taking her number. And I might do a century ride next weekend. I haven't ridden my bike in over a year. This is a supremely stupid idea. But I keep thinking, "how hard can it be? I'm in good shape. Bikes have wheels. If I'm tired, I can just coast for a while."

Anybody think I'm trying to cure my anxiety about the lack of foreward movement in my life by maniacally exerting myself physically? Nah. Definitely not.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hutch said...

Naomi,
I am sitting here in Washington waiting for the ATM race too! Good luck. I am nervous, but I always get that way for a race.

4:27 AM  
Blogger jeanne said...

Naomi:
I am sitting here in Washington waiting for you to POST about the peace corps interview!!! It's not like I don't have a life or anything, but I was just wondering! Waiting is hard. Especially waiting for something you don't really want to do. So we will embark on the search for a west- or south-african journalism job for you. It's a big place, Africa, and I read their papers weekly. No offense, but you're not going to have a hard time getting a journalism job. Of course, you will live on ramen noodles for a while.

and good luck on sunday and with the bike ride! Yes, bikes DO coast, but they often need downhills to do it! Either way, 'twill be fun, and think of the blog potential!

5:12 AM  
Blogger a.maria said...

funny, i was thinking about needing to ask how the interview went today when i was running. and there you go answering my question. go you.

so. peacecorp thing is a definite yes or an i'd like to but or an i dont know if i'm so into this?? sounds like you are, but i thought i'd ask... today, after the run, i found out my car was involved in a hit and run... mine being the car that got hit, and after all the drama this past week, i seriously was like yeah... naomi's plan is starting to sound *really* good right about now...

ugh.

anyway. enjoy the century ride.. you're legs are at least in shape, ya know? i'm sure it will be fine (she said quizzically....) !!

6:44 PM  
Blogger Soul Searching said...

Oh, wow! The peacem corps is my dream. I keep telling myself once I finish school I'll sell the house and everything in it and join the peace corps. I hope you post more about the interview.

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home