Saturday, November 19, 2005

It begins...

If this were Typepad, I’d have categories for all my entries. And this entry would be filed under, “I’m totally the fastest runner, ever” and “Ah, Jen, we meet again.” And also, “The Blog Gods were smiling on me.”

An action-packed entry, is what I’m trying to say. So get excited.

Oh, but first, an apology/correction. In my typical fashion, I have, without question, put my foot in my mouth. Or in my keyboard. Or somewhere. Not the point. This is: my last entry may have appeared to have been set up as a “things that sucked about last time that will be better this time” structure, putting my sister in the first category and my brother in the second. Well, it was a convenient structure, for the rest of the entry, anyway, and in my head, I figured everyone would know how absolutely fabulous it was to have my sister with me in Anchorage, and how very unbelievably cool she is. But reading back over it, I’m not so sure that was clear. Because she rocks. My sister. And I’m glad my brother is coming to Miami with me (and it now looks like my dad and maybe my mom will be there too) but there’s nobody I would have rather had cheering me on at my first marathon than my sister.

Are we clear? Good.

So, onward.

Let’s play the good news bad news game.

The schedule called for 14 miles today. And, as I’ve been doing for the past three weeks, I woke up at 7 and headed to Alexandria to run with Potomac Runners, a local, informal running club.

Good news: I woke up on time, and got myself out to the appropriate parking lot by 8 am.
More good news: It was a gorgeous sunny morning.
Bad news: It was really cold.

When I walked over to the group, a woman I hadn’t met popped over to discuss my fuel belt, and, as we were talking, a woman I had met last week walked over.

Funny news: The women’s names? Chelle and Deanna. Okay, not THAT Chelle or Dianna, but… Yeah, fine. I’ll shut up.

Last week, Deanna ran about 20 seconds/mile ahead of me, and the people that I did run with turned back after 4.5 miles. Which meant that I ran almost 8 miles on my own, and with no music.

Good news: This morning Deanna and I fell into a comfortable pace together.
Bad news: It was also comfortable for Mr. BPD (Bad Personality Disorder). You know the type.
Redeeming news: He turned back after three miles.

Best news: It turns out that our comfortable pace? Averaged to around 9:40 minutes/mile. There were three unmarked miles, and I think they were a couple tenths short, so I don’t know exactly, but we finished in 2:09:50, which is by far the fastest I’ve ever run that distance, whatever that distance was. And, like I said, it was plenty comfortable. Heartrate- and breathing- wise.

Other-wise? Well, wait for the

Worst News: Jen made a big appearance around mile 9. I was able to keep running, but I had to stop and stretch twice. And it hurt.

So. What does all this mean?

More stretching. A lot more stretching. I say this a lot. But this time I mean it! For reals.

But also?

I’m totally the fastest runner ever!

(Even if Deanna and I were also totally the last of the Potomac Runners to finish.)

4 Comments:

Blogger a.maria said...

damn girl at 9:40... you ARE the fastest runner ever...

10:20 PM  
Blogger David said...

Nicely done; and I like the reader friendly redesign of your blog.

6:02 AM  
Blogger Running Chick said...

when i read that you had your sights set on your second marathon, i put in a special request to the running-blogging-universe and asked that you meet up with an RBF-stand-in on my behalf. Looks like it worked. I'll take full credit for whatever good ju-ju she brings you!

4:10 PM  
Blogger Noames said...

You know, Dianna, she even kind of looks like you. Are you sure you don't have a slower clone in DC?

3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home