Thursday, June 02, 2005

Sometimes I also do other stuff

So when you live alone, you learn very quickly that things don’t get done until you do them.

(If my brother were reading this, he’d say, “Thank you, Captain Obvious.” If my friend Kate were reading this, she would just laugh, because, yeah.)

It has a plus side, which is that nobody makes the dishes dirty except you, and that yummy leftover curry stays in the fridge until you’re ready to eat it and also nobody is there to whine that that bathtub is starting to look gray, and was that a style choice or were you thinking about maybe cleaning it one of these days, not that there’s any hurry, I’m just curious.

But, on the other hand, as much as you might wish for dishwashing fairies or elves that also do laundry, things don’t get clean until you clean them.

So if you leave dishes in the sink and your bed unmade when you go out for a run, you should not be surprised to find things looking remarkably similar when you come home.

Except, that is, if you have the world’s best houseguests staying with you.

Last weekend, otherwise known as the Superfun Happy Friends Weekend, and also known as Beach ’05!! (with pictures!), a bunch of my college friends convened in DC (three in my apartment, and two with Tim and Jackie) for a weekend of hijinks and inside jokes and long car trips.

And not only did my friends cook for me, clean my apartment, and make my bed everyday, they were also totally cool with me taking an hour in the morning to go running or hit the gym. Even when I started whining about how I didn’t want to go, they just reminded me that I would feel great when I was done, and that there would be breakfast waiting for me when I got back.

So why do so many of these friends insist on moving far(ther) away?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Huh. When you put it that way, we totally rock. :-D

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home