Thursday, June 30, 2005

Two steps forward, one step back

Well, my lunchtime run was a qualified success.

A success because we ran and it was extremely fun. We chatted and avoided the closed streets around the White House, and got stared at by people in business suits, (not like that! Or maybe some of them like that, but that’s not what made this a success) and found and ran through sprinklers on the White House lawn that weren’t barricaded, and also ran a couple miles.

But a qualified success because, damn. I say again. Da-a-a-amn. It was hot out. And the cool water from the sprinklers was nice, as was the drinking water I carried, but there is only so much that you can do when it is that hot and sunny and humid.

And between rushing to get back in time to shower and heat up our lunches before the end of our hour and all the red lights at intersections, I’d be shocked if we ran more than 2 miles.

So that was Tuesday.

We decided to modify our experiment for Thursday, and meet an hour before work to run.

That, my very smart readers will no doubt have deduced, was today.

And everything they say about how having a running buddy to meet in the morning will get you out of bed far more readily than if you are just trying to motivate on your own is true. Because I did NOT want to get up this morning.

Like the very clever chickadee that I am, I stayed out until almost midnight and had two glasses of wine (two!) and a beer (three drinks! What a lush!) because I was having fun and, well, worrying about tomorrow morning the night before is so very last season.

But three drinks and a late bedtime do not a morning girl make. So again, a qualified success. We ran, and the weather was far less oppressive, but my headache was far more oppressive, and the red lights were even more omnipresent, and I doubt that we made it even 2 miles. But we did have a lovely session of ab work on the White House lawn (it’s close to my office, we’re not obsessed with Dubya, I swear), and we still had time to shower and get to our desks on time.

When I get back from Africa, we are going to resume our experiments in running from work, and, if they have finished renovating the office weight room, we may try to add some resistance training to our Tuesday/Thursday regime.

All told, a decently productive week, even if my mileage was shockingly low (shocking to me, and not, most likely, to anyone else).

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should run in a dark blue business suit with shades and wear an earpiece. Then do ab work on the lawn. Won't the people talk?

Good for you for running!

10:47 PM  
Blogger Riona said...

I'm so glad to read that you can run in DC in summer - I'm visiting my dearest friend there at the end of the month and, being entirely obsessive, was wondering about the heat. My friend is Irish, like me, and is generally wiped out by the heat there.

4:20 AM  
Blogger Riona said...

BD, I really did LOL.

4:20 AM  
Blogger Noames said...

Hee! Of course, to make it really realistic, we'd have to find a black suburban to run next to... The other day, I saw a motorcade, and in addition to all the police surrounding it, and the secret service following it, there was an agent in the sitting in the cargo area of a suburban with the door wide open, holding a giant assault rifle. Scary.

And yes, Riona, it's possible to run here in the summer. Just wake up early...

7:31 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Nice job...running after a few drinks the night before would have been torture for me :-)

11:09 AM  
Blogger a.maria said...

so i've been reading some of your early posts and i'm cracking up over here... i love knowing another "non-runner" made it thru the TNT training and marathon (and fundraising for that matter!)! you'll be my "if she can do it i can do it" motivation!
love the blog... keep on truckin!

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home