Friday, June 10, 2005

What I'm thinking about

One week to go. Give or take.

Actually, one week from tomorrow, but I didn’t think that sounded as good.

But now I’ve gone one about this for three lines, so would it have really been so bad to be accurate in the first place?

Let’s try it.

One week from tomorrow.

At this time next week plus one day, adjusted for the time difference between DC and Anchorage, I will have run somewhere between 20 and 22 miles, unless for some reason I am unable to run at my anticipated pace, in which case I will have run some as yet unable to be anticipated distance.

How’s that for accurate?

I have weathered many minor freakouts as I attempt to redirect my anxiety about race day to other, more controllable things. I have changed my itinerary for my travel in Alaska before the marathon, I have obsessively considered and reconsidered my packing list and where and when I will buy certain last minute items, including Gatorade powder and Gels and a wedding gift for my friend who’s not even getting married until after the marathon but why not worry about that now, because it’s so much fun.

I have come to terms with the fact that I don’t like the way my size large TNT singlet fits and that I will probably not be able to exchange it for a medium until I reach Alaska which means that I will probably not be able to run in it before race day but I will bring Woolite with me so that I can wash it the night before anyway.

I continue to wonder how my sister will manage to get from the hotel to the race course and to move around on the race course without a car. But I have decided not to worry about that as there will be many other family members of TNT participants, including the family of LadyFab, who will have cars and presumably be willing to make room for her. And there are also taxis and buses and this is Not A Crisis.

I have also decided not to be upset that the forecast predicts rain for marathon day, because they predict “light rain” and a temperature of 65°, and I have run in the rain before, and I have decided that “light rain” means a gentle cooling sprinkle of water that I will enjoy.

I continue to be oddly confident about running the marathon itself, despite the completely inexplicable soreness in my hamstrings and the persistent pain in my lower back. But who can worry about running when I’m so busy worrying about when I’m going to get my car inspected? What’s that? Look over there! No, behind you! What? Me? I didn’t say a thing.

So that’s that, then.

I’ll update at least once more before I leave on Tuesday, but then I will probably not be able to update until I get back from Alaska.

10 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Good luck up there. It will all be fine (and over) soon enough. We look forward to a superlative report.
When it's over what on earth will you do for entertainment? or complain about?

9:23 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

::hugs::

I'm so glad that other people do this before trips, particularly trips which involve an Event. When we hit 1 week out from my wedding day, I had packing lists and to-do lists galore (since we were actually flying somewhere to get married, then proceeding on honeymoon from there without coming back home first). Then we got to the point where my Hub hauled out the suitcases and said, "Let's get packing." I completely froze. Brain shut down. He ended up having to gently ask me what all we needed, walk me through my own lists, and get the packing done himself, poor boy, because I hit the HOLY SHIT THIS IS REALLY GOING TO HAPPEN! mark at that point and could no longer think.

Which is to say, if you're anything like me, get a back-up brain involved, and introduce him or her to your copious lists. Just in case. ;-)

I so can't wait to hear about this! Eee!

3:47 PM  
Blogger Scooter said...

Good Luck up there. Keep Murphy in mind...bring a singlet in case you can't exchange. Have fun and don't obsess. Stretch the hams!

10:49 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

BEST OF LUCK!! I'm rooting for you...and looking forward to the race report!

4:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck to you! Run smart, run strong. I know you will do this. See you on the other side of 26.2 miles!

12:02 AM  
Blogger Riona said...

Good luck, Naomi. You'll do it ... only five more sleeps!

You've trained hard. You'll be fine.

1:55 AM  
Blogger ncmunchkin said...

Good luck Naomi! I've just started with TNT to train for the Nike Women's Marathon in San Fran. I'm sure you're more than prepared for anything and everything. I look forward to hearing about how you did.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Noames said...

Thanks everyone!

David - that's far too accurate. But never fear, I can ALWAYS find something to complain about.

Meg - glad to hear I'm not the only one. Honestly, I'm normally very rational, but this kind of thing brings out my crazy.

ncmunchkin - good luck! This is so worth it! And you're going to do great!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

I'm so excited for you! I look forward to hearing about YOUR marathon stories! Don't forget to HAVE FUN!
Irene

12:07 PM  
Blogger Noames said...

Thanks Irene. And yes, good advice--I plan to have tons and tons of fun.

3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home