Saturday, June 18, 2005

So.... That happened.

In the matchup of 26.2 miles versus Naomi, it was a knock-down, drag out fight, and I wish I were exaggerating. The miles took a beating in the early rounds but came back hard. But I fought tooth and nail and hung on to the bitter end.

That's the cutesy version of what happened. The long version will come later.

For now, the short version: There was no blood, some sweat, and a few tears. A lot of rain. Really painful leg cramps. But I finished, as I had no doubt that I would. Even at my worst, I knew I would finish.

I couldn't have done this without you all, though, and that's the truth. I kept thinking about "Just keep swimming", and "Keep going until they make you stop", and "Keep going, kid", and running with Tim, and raising almost $5,000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, and I thought about thinking about those things, and I thought about telling you all about thinking about those things, and then I let out a few sobs because I was grateful for the inspiration, and because I had so far to go. And then I took a few deep breaths, and just kept on keeping on.

Then there were the people here today who helped me keep on keeping on. For now I'll just list them so I remember later. Their stories will come when I give the full report. Lynn-the-St.-Louis-TNT-coach; the pink-dyed, spiky haired coach from Canada whose name I never learned; Luke; Cindy from Anchorage; my sister.

And, in a Naomi-typical burst of optimism, let's accentuate the positive:

-- My knees didn't hurt.
-- Mosquitos were not a factor.
-- The scenery was delightful, even when running was not.
-- I gave it everything I had. This is really what I was talking about in that last post, even if it seemed like I was talking about being competitive. Shit happens, and I can't control that, and it was worrying about the uncontrollable that was stressing me out. But I can control my resolve and my effort, and I used all I had of both to get me over the finish line.

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God, I'm so proud of you, Naomi. I just don't feel like waiting for LJ to pick this up to comment. Now that you've actually done the 26.2, you can definitely bring it up in any context you want for as long as you live. You've done so well. It sounds as though you really had to persevere through way more than you expected, but I'm not surprised one bit that you were able to. Outstanding work, my friend. Now take your rest, because you *deserve* it!

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no words. No words. What do I say? Congratulations is a pale shadow of what I want to say to you. I'm ecstatic and awed and joyous for you. I thought of you today. I felt like I was with you yet I wasn't. I wish I could have been there, cheering you on, watching you cross the finish line. I know the pain and I know the joy of conquering. I'm a different person for it. I walk around quietly confident that I can achieve the impossible if I simply set my heart and mind to it. GO YOU!

I can't wait to read about it. But for now, eat, drink, and rest.

11:54 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

YOU are awesome!!!

Way to go on this incredible journey, it's a ride, huh? How inspiring...

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Naomi-I've been reading your blog for a bit (which is really great btw). I just wanted to add my congrats to the mix on your well earned victory over the marathon distance!! It sounds like one of those life changing things. What effort!! I hope you are recovering well!!!

10:33 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Yay, Yay, Yay! Way to finish that sucker...sounds like it took a lot of determination to make it to the end. Amazing accomplishment, Naomi :-) Make sure you get all the rest and refueling that your body needs right now...and enjoy the satisfaction of running 26.2 miles!

11:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your success. I have been lurking on your blog for weeks now following your progress. Way to go!!!!

11:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I've also been lurking here for a while, following along. You are an inspiration!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

You rock my world!

11:30 AM  
Blogger Denise said...

Congratulations, Naomi and, as others have said, have a lovely rest and relaxation period because you have most assuredly earned it! :)

11:31 AM  
Blogger Meg said...

Oh my God! Way to go! ::tacklehugs:: So, so, so proud of you! That is utterly amazing!

4:33 PM  
Blogger Ottawa Slow Rider said...

Congrats! I'm so happy you achieved your goal.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Jack said...

Congratulations, glad you finished you can be proud!

6:49 AM  
Blogger ncmunchkin said...

Congrats! It must be so overwhelming to know what you have done by running those miles. All the people that your fundraising will help, and all of us that have been inspired by reading about your journey. Enjoy the rest. I can't wait for the full report.

8:46 AM  
Blogger :) said...

Truly amazing...way to go!

You are awesome.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

Wooooo Hoooooo!!!! You did it, and in the rain to boot! I look foward to reading about the finer details of the event... Are you still wearing your medal? Way to go!
Irene

2:06 PM  
Blogger Riona said...

You did it!!!!! There is nothing you can't accomplish now. It's such a real achievement.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!

5:20 PM  
Blogger Brooke said...

Naomi -- awesome job, girl! I can't wait to read the full report to take me back to my Anchorage marathon experience. Oh, and hope you enjoyed our wonderful pacific northwest!!!

1:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job! What happens to the blog now?

11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home