Monday, January 23, 2006

Maybe I'll just stay here...

So the marathon is less than a week away, and I have yet to pack a single box.

How, you might wonder, is box-packing relevant to marathon-preparation? A very good question, my very astute readers.

The answer is that it's probably not particularly relevant. But, my head, she isn't so much in the marathon-panicking, these days. She's pretty pre-occupied with the Africa-planning and the move-out-procrastinating. It leaves surprisingly little time for tapering. I haven't even checked the weather forecast once--although David sent it out on Saturday along with a weekend schedule (the man is impressively organized!). High 60s and rainy. I haven't decided how I feel about that yet.

Luckily, tapering is easy. My "long" run on Saturday was six miles. That's shorter than many of my weekday runs were during the peak of training. It was a total breeze.

Actually, that's an utter lie. It *should* have been a total breeze. It was a warm day. I lazed out of the house at around 11:30, and ran in Rock Creek Park, which is right by my house. Six miles is barely an hour of running, and that route is the flattest possible in my neighborhood.

And yet? Not so easy. I don't know what the deal is, but my legs felt leaden. I haven't been drinking enough water lately. And it was awfully humid, which is something I've become delightfully unaccustomed to, over the last few winter months. Plus, I'd been munching all morning (oranges, apricots, and carrots... can you overdose on Vitamin A? Because everything I eat these days is orange. And I have a sweet potato calling for me to eat it for dinner...)

So some of those are fixable. I will be hydrating to within an inch of my life for the next few days (that was needlessly dire, and also cliched. Hmm.) which should help. And I will have a reasonable pre-race breakfast of some sort.

But the heat and humidity? Well, there's nothing I can really do about that. I've decided that this unseasonably warm and humid weather in DC is a blessing, because I will be more used to it when I get to Miami. Don't know if it'll really help, but thinking it will can't hurt, right? I mean, right?

Meanwhile, back to the real point. I am moving out of my apartment two weeks from tomorrow, and I have yet to pack a single box. But I doubt that will be a problem. I'll just pack when I get back from the marathon. It should only take, what? An hour or two? Tops?

On another note, I'm hosting a party on the Tuesday after the marathon. It should be a rocking good time. I'll provide the music, the munchies, the... packing tape.... BYOB** Friends and significant others welcome!

**Bring your own boxes.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rae said...

It's probably not a bad thing that your mind is otherwise preoccupied, that'll make the M a piece of cake!

I wish you could have dinner with us, we'll just have to meet-up before or after the race.

See you in just a few days!

8:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

totally can overdose on Vitamin A but you really have to try.

Come see me in Virginia!!!

ok I am done with the selfish plug

11:15 PM  
Blogger David said...

Revised forecast for Miami:
Sat Jan 28 Partly Cloudy 73°/64° 20% 9 Very Good
Sun Jan 29 Partly Cloudy 75°/64° 20% 8 Very Good
Rain is holding off until Monday.

7:09 AM  
Blogger RunderWoman said...

Too funny. I'm also overdosing on vitamin A...made a huge batch of carrot-ginger soup last night and had some for lunch today. I almost made my fabulous baked sweet potato fries for dinner, but convinced myself that was crazy and I should wait and make them tomorrow.

Good luck with packing! When in doubt, throw stuff in garbage bags!

6:57 PM  
Blogger jeanne said...

Are you saying needlessly dire and cliche is bad?? ahhh. I think 60s and raining (if it's light raining) sounds downright peachy (in keeping with your orange-y theme).

Can we track you on the big day? I'll go find out. I'm amazed you are so calm. I'm FREAKIN' out!! but you'll do great. Really. D.C.'s warm weather is definitely going to be to your advantage.

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home