Thursday, December 22, 2005

Universe to Naomi: Merry Christmas

Naomi to Universe: But I'm Jewish!
Universe to Naomi: Whatever. Just enjoy.

----

You know what I hate about exercise? There’s no way to make up missed time. If I don’t run on Tuesday, I can’t run twice as fast on Thursday to make up for it. I suppose I could run twice as long, but ultimately, there’s no substitute for actually putting in the miles on Tuesday.

Can you tell that I’m feeling a little guilty? Can you perhaps guess why?

Despite my best intentions, I skipped runs on both Sunday and Tuesday. I did go to an hour-and-a-half dance class on Sunday, so that probably counts for something. And if I weren’t training for a marathon, it would be plenty for a day’s worth of exercise.

Okay, more’s the pity. No looking back. And I used the time spent not running in a relatively productive fashion, talking to my West African dance teacher and other classmates about travel in West Africa and people they know who have been or are currently in Senegal. This is Useful.

I planned to make up the miles on Monday, now that my tap class has ended. I didn’t. But! I had made plans with Tim to run on Thursday, in addition to my regularly scheduled spin class on Thursday mornings. So all was not lost.

Then, Tuesday. Having given myself permission to skip two planned runs, I found it astonishingly easy to skip a third. I knew it wouldn’t be bad once I started. I had even been in the mood to run up until about 4 pm. And then, as I felt the mood slipping, I read lots of running blogs in the hopes of inspiring myself. (Can I say, by the way, that I am incredibly intimidated by Rachel—by which I mean impressed and in awe. While I pitifully complain about 18-mile runs, she has run a PR half-marathon, 21 miles, and 23 miles in the last three weeks. I don’t deserve to run in the same marathon with her.)

Last night I got my act together and ran the planned 7 miles (and remembered that I enjoy running quite a bit). But, this morning, knowing that I was running in the evening with Tim, I also slept through my spin class.

I=slacker.

And for all my complaining about the Universe’s sick sense of humor, I am really the child of fortune. Because in response to my incredible laziness, I have been given an amazing reward.

Remember Deanna, the not-running-blogger who makes me run faster and better on my Saturday long runs?

Last Saturday, towards the end of our two hour run (I only did 12 miles in preparation for this weekend’s 20; see above, re: Naomi=slacker), I joked, “are you sure you don’t want to come to Miami with me?” Joking because I never thought she’d be interested, not because I didn’t want a running buddy for the marathon.

To my shock, she said, “hmmm… when is it?”

We determined that it was too late for her to consider running the full distance (her longest distance to date is 14 miles, run a month or so ago). But when I suggested that she run the last 10 miles with me, she said, “I’ll look into plane tickets!”

Well as of about five minutes ago, she has booked herself on a flight. We’re going to eat pasta and watch Chariots of Fire, and then the next morning, around mile 16, she’s going to jump onto the course with me and keep me motivated until the end.

How great is that?

Answer: Pretty seriously great.

****

Happy Solstice, Christmas, Hanukah, Kwanzaa, or Friday, depending on what you do or do not celebrate! (Am I the PC-ist or what?)

Seriously, enjoy the holidays!

5 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Naomi=Bonk if she doesn't stay on the training wagon.

Do you and Deanna have plans for where you're going to carbo load on Saturday night? I'm working to put together a pastafest on Miami Beach for about six runners (so far, including Rachel and Brent) early enough to get plenty of sleep later.

9:22 PM  
Blogger jeanne said...

WOW!!! Boy are you lucky to have SUCH an amazing FRIEND who would jump in with you and run the last 16 miles with you!! MAN, if only I had such a ... wait, wait... HEY THIS SOUNDS REALLY FAMILIAR!!! :

See, ya put the good karma out there, back it comes!! (To all: Naomi ran the last 10 (? 10,000?) miles of my marathon with ME! How AWESOME IS THAT!! And then told me to stop thanking her for it!!)

Really, that is way cool. I'd jump on a plane too, only ... well, you know. You run fast, girl. And I, um, can't actually run at the moment. But otherwise: I'd be SO THERE for you.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Yeah!! I am about **the** least intimidating person you will EVER meet! (and you will - in just a month!!) I've been pretty bad about my weekday mileage, and I'm extremely neurotic/Type A so for this first marathon I just HAVE to know I can do the distance.

I'm so glad your friend is coming! I'm still trying to figure out whether I'd like Brent to run the first half or second half with me......

Hope you guys can have dinner with us!

11:44 PM  
Blogger a.maria said...

omg yay! thats awesome that you have someone for the last very grueling miles! very many kudos to your awesomse friend!

7:28 PM  
Blogger Junie B said...

even though you were beating yourself up in this entry, you are still inspiring to me...

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home