Monday, July 25, 2005

My god, the stories I have to tell.

First, to answer somebody's question from last time--I'm not quite as far in the savanna as all that. I'm staying in an enclosed educational park near the village of Maun, a tourist hub into the delta and other national parks. On the plus side, no predators in the park (I don't fancy being woken by a hyena outside my tent), but the downside is that it's small and there's not a huge amount of work. Anyway, there are several internet cafes in town, and that's what I'm using to update.

I'll try to tell the stories in detail later but for now a taste:

--surviving a baboon attack in Moremi (on my stuff, not my person, thank god. And, aside from a few teeth marks, some tears in a brand new tent, and the lovely scent of baboon, no real damage. A word of caution, however: child safety medicine bottles are not also baboon safe.);

--the world's worst tour guide; seeing giraffes sleeping, hippos swimming, zebras running (and running with zebras), and lots and lots of elephants! I ADORE elephants;

--learning that Hakuna Matata means "No Worries" in Setswana (the local language);

--learning that they weren't kidding about having clicks in this language, and trying to learn to say words containing the sounds;

--making s'mores with 9 people who'd never tried them before (they loved them);

--being the only white girl in an African night club (I was quite the spectacle--people were fascinated by my dancing. And, had I wanted to pick up a guy, I could have had my pick. Yeesh.)

--more about the world's worst tour guide;

--visiting the police to report the world's worst tour guide...

And I still have a week left.

So fun.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

So are you going to report to *us* about the world's worst tour guide? We're on the edges of our seats, here, Noames!

Glad to hear you are having a good time and learning a lot... looking forward to more stories.

12:34 PM  
Blogger Riona said...

Sounds awesome! I've been the only white woman in an African nightclub (in Gambia) and it was a very interesting experience. There were some other women there, who our friend told us were all prostitutes, and man, they were hard girls who didn't like me at all. But I really, really want to go back: I will never forget the experience of sitting under a mango tree, painting the nails of one little girl while her sisters braided my hair, smoking a big ol' spliffie and listening to a guy play the kora. I don't know if I've ever been happier, or had greater hospitality. I hope your trip is as wonderful.

3:39 PM  
Blogger :) said...

Sounds like you are have a blast. I can't wait to hear the night club story...

10:24 AM  
Blogger a.maria said...

alright. i'm hooked. you gotta give details on this tour guide.

sounds like you're having quite the time. cant wait for pics!enjoy your last week!!

9:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an amazing experience! I can't wait to hear the stories. Live well, have fun, and most important of all, keep notes so that you can regale us with tales of your vacation.

10:50 PM  
Blogger jeanne said...

The po-lice?!!! Ummm, that can't be good. I rarely have to go to the police on my vacations. All kinds of scenarios are flashing through our collective heads.

Give us more soon, please, or we will all die of curiosity.

8:41 AM  
Blogger Irene said...

I'm seriously looking forward to the finer details of your trip! Baboons and all!
Irene

9:48 PM  
Blogger Katie said...

my first time here and I admire your goal! This recap is wonderful, how amazing to visit somewhere so different.

5:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home