Sunday, July 03, 2005

So much to say, so little time

Gah. I have written like five posts in my head but haven't managed to sit down and the computer to, you know, post any of them.

Thursday, I was in the midst of my signature Friday Freakout (a day early! I'm so efficient). I even wrote part of that post:

Seriously, I’m going to be gone for a month. In Africa? What am I getting into y’all? I couldn’t convince anyone to go with me, which means I’m going by myself—although I’m joining up with a program when I get there, so presumably there will be someone else who speaks English or French to whom I can spew my ramblings and complaints about life, the universe, and running, until they gnaw off their arm from the sheer agony of it, at which point maybe I’ll have learned some Setswane so as to have some new victims for my torture.

But it’s the vast unknowness of this trip that keeps freaking me out. I don’t know exactly where I’ll be staying or what I’ll be doing or what I’ll be eating or what I should bring, and, despite the fact that I’m doing this, this is not the type of thing I do. I’m a city girl! I can navigate subway systems and shop ‘til I drop (budget permitting) and chill on sidewalk cafes, and what about that makes me qualified to live in a tent for three weeks maintaining a park in Africa? I don’t have the right wardrobe for this! I don’t even know what the right wardrobe is. And I have an entirely juvenile fear of showing up and wearing the wrong things and not fitting in with all the cool, outdoorsy, hippie people, who shop at REI on a regular basis and live in their trucks as they migrate between teaching ski lessons in the winter and, I don’t know, hiking camp in the summer or something.

By Friday, I had arranged to borrow some stuff from my kayaking friend, who simply exudes outdoorsy, and the panic had subsided. On Friday, I was going to amaze you with my profound reflections on 2005 thus far, and how doing scary things is hard, but also very rewarding, and how I'm learning so much about myself by pushing boundaries and really, you were going to be very impressed by my insight, and it would probably have changed your life.

But I didn't have time to write that post.

On Saturday, I arrived in the town where I grew up—a teensy suburb of New York City, with a population under 10,000 and all the adorable cuteness that comes from being a quaint little village (complete with a Colonial manor!). I was going to make you laugh with a story about how I ran the "long" loop that terrified me in my high school winter track days, and how it's actually about 2.5 miles. Then I would probably have made you cry with reflections on running through one's childhood, and seeing the small changes in this town but... I don't really know what I was going to write. But it would been beautiful.

But here it is Sunday, and none of those posts have been written. And, since I doubt I'll have time to post again tomorrow, this will be my Last! Post! for a month! Which means that I need to write something fabulous, so y'all will want to come back and keep reading, come August.

Eh. That sounds hard.

Let's do this, instead:

Hey, has anyone else noticed how many lovely bloggers have recently signed up for their first marathons?

There’s Denise, Jessica, Jeanne, Rionna, Stephanie, A.Maria and… I’m pretty sure there’s at least one more, but I can’t remember.

Anybody think that maybe it’s all because of my incredibly awe-inspiring whining, which has convinced these ladies that if she can do it, then, for Pete’s sake, it really can’t be that hard?

Well, no, probably not, since most of you probably aren’t viewing the world through Naomi-tinted glasses.

Of course I know that all these women have their own reasons for wanting to do marathons, and most of them signed up well before they even knew I existed. But how is that interesting?

Anyway, the real reason I bring them up is because they’re super cool, and if you’re jones-ing for some novice marathoner tales of pain accomplishment, or else an interesting blog to read for the next few weeks, they’ve got you covered.

Back in a month, y'all. Hakuna matata (hee!).

8 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Have a fabulous time, Naomi! I can't wait to hear all about it when you return :-) It will definitely be a life-changing experience...best wishes for safe travels.

9:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey girl - a friend of mine sent me the link to your blog... so I've been to Africa a number of times and if you do want any help figuring out what to take email me... you'll have an awesome time - and no need to fear... botswana is a really great place. feel free to drop a line!gretaeweiss@hotmail.com

2:43 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

You are going to have a fantastic time in Botswana. Don't worry-- with English, French and frantic hand-waving you will be well-equipped to communicate with anyone.
And... I have only chosen the *half* marathon so far, not the actual one... but I am SO going to. And you were definitely one of the short list of inspiratons!! (Thanks :-)

2:10 AM  
Blogger jeanne said...

AFRICA!!! My thoughts on the subject:

"If I know a song of Africa, of the giraffe and the African new moon lying on her back, of the plows in the fields and the sweaty faces of the coffee pickers, does Africa know a song of me? Will the air over the plain quiver with a color that I have had on, or the children invent a game in which my name is, or the full moon throw a shadow over the gravel of the drive that was like me, or will the eagles of the Ngong Hills look out for me?"'

Ok, so those are Isak Dinesen's thoughts, but still. (I was going to quote the Housman poem (also quoted in "Out of Africa,"): "To an Athlete Dying Young," but decided it probly wasn't the best fit for the occasion, noble though it be.) (he he)

And YOU exude nobel-ness as well, Noames. Soak up as much as you can while you are there. You will come back a changed, even more inspiring person than you already are.

Godspeed, etc., and thanks for the plug which I totally don't deserve but hey, you said it, not me.

You go girl

12:11 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Thank you so much for the comments! We will miss you. Thank goodness your blog is a public record for those of us to refer to during Naomi withdrawls. Seriously.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Irene said...

Enjoy Africa!

And about others wanting to marathon... I think some people needed that extra nudge go go for that big run, as was the case with myself. I thought about it but that's all I did. A friend of mine ran 3 marathons the year she turned 50. Well, I don't have to tell you that a little competition between friends never hurt, although I have a few years before turning 50. She sparked my interest and I finally did something about it, and dragged my husband along for the ride :) Perhaps your words gave these great people that extra push do "just do it."
Take care,
Irene

11:37 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

You inspire me every time I read your site, Naomi, so although I wasn't strictly speaking thinking of you when I signed up for Las Vegas, I will definitely be thinking of you as I cross the finish line! Have fun doing great things in Africa and don't forget to check in when you get home. :)

10:39 PM  
Blogger a.maria said...

i ran 12 miles for the first time today and no joke started thinking about you and africa and stared wondering what you were doing and if there were lions (random) and if you were running and it was kinda motivating. so i hope youre doing well, and i cant wait to hear about the adventures when you return!!!

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home