Thursday, January 26, 2006

Florida-bound

Okay, I have two confessions to make:

The first is that I still haven't packed one, single, solitary box. I have no good excuse--unless you think the fact that I fell asleep while watching Yes, Dear reruns in the afternoon sounds promising? No? I mean, that's not what happened or anything, but if it sounded like a potential excuse, I'd go with it.

Sigh.

The second is that I might (just possibly) be slightly more nervous for this marathon than I've been letting on.

I wasn't lying about how my attention was mostly focused elsewhere. Planning for Africa has been very time consuming. But it's also been a lot of fun, and I feel like everything is falling into place in a surprising, but very enjoyable way.

But this marathon... It occurred to me as I packed every single pair of running shorts I own and two (two!) pairs of running shoes in my very petite suitcase, that maybe, possibly, a very teeny part of me is just the teensiest bit nervous.

Every run for the past two weeks has felt terrible. My legs feel heavy. I feel tired. I can't finish five miles without wanting to stop. I don't stop, but I want to. Which bodes ill for the 26 miles I have to run in a few days.

But what are my options? Not running? Not likely. And do I really think that I won't finish the marathon? Well, not unless something really awful happens. So maybe it'll take me longer than I hope. Maybe it'll even take me longer than it took last time. That wouldn't be the end of the world, right?

If that happens, though, and then I sign on here and tell you how I have to run another marathon, so I can get my goal time, or some other similar nonsense? You have my permission to flame me in the comments.

7 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

Whoa, calm down, you are just going through the fine phase of taper madness - you'll do just fine when you get over the starting line! We'll all be here cheering you on!

8:52 AM  
Blogger Scooter said...

Naomi,
If you really lack confidence in the distance, then follow Galloway's walking program. It will get you to the finish without much discomfort and with very little time penalty (compared with breaking down). Keep your spirits up!

It struck me that in Dakar, standards for what is appropriate for women to wear while running may be quite different. Have you checked this out?

10:48 AM  
Blogger Junie B said...

GO! GO! GO!

Hope you do well and be safe!!

11:06 AM  
Blogger David said...

Jack has a point about the taper madness. I feel slow and unable to finish too. I sure hope it all changes on Sunday. The forecast is now for mid 60s on up, instead of low 60s.
See you soon!

1:20 PM  
Blogger Rae said...

Once we're all there I'm sure we'll be dying to go!! You're going to do AWESOME!! See you soon!! I'm not sure where you plan to be, but I'll be in the 4.30 category!

10:14 PM  
Blogger jeanne said...

You have a LOT on your mind right now. I'm going with "you WILL be fine." As one encouraging runner once told me, "You are stronger than you know." Or some such truism. You are. I'll be Rooting and Tooting for you!! And let yourself be nervous. It's really OK. Just follow the directions: hydrate, salt, all that good stuff. If you get tired, you'll just run slower til you get over it. Try to forget about these last few runs and remember the long, great ones.

As Julie Andrews once said (my role model), I have confidence in YOU.
:)

p.s. tell us how to sign up to track you bcs i am too lazy to look it up!!!

10:24 PM  
Blogger Running Chick said...

smooth. strong. and fun. that's all you need to do.

good luck!

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home