Friday, January 27, 2006

T-Minus 33 hours and counting

I've discovered the cure to my getting tired problem. It's called running two miles. Honestly? I thought about running in my street clothes--the time I spent changing into gear and showering afterwards outlasted, by far, the actual time spent running.

It was kind of fantastic. And I made sure to enjoy it as much as possible, since the next time I put those running shoes on, they're going to stay on for quite a bit longer.

Currently the panic-meter is on the low side. I've been worried about the how the temperature would affect me, but the weather has been gorgeous, and it is really quite cool in the morning. Add to that how much lighter I feel wearing shorts and a tank top compared to the multiple layers I needed to stay warm in DC, and I'm feeling good.

I think of this as my selfish marathon—I'm not raising money for any charity, and my reasons for doing this are completely self-absorbed (and kind of silly). Despite this, I'm am lucky enough to be surrounded by incredibly generous people, who are making this experience worlds better than I deserve.

One of which, of course, is Deanna, and if you're curious to know why I rave about her so much, go read the comment she left on my last post. The girl needs a blog, so she can be a part of the RBF, is all I'm saying.

She needs to join the RBF, by the way, because it is pretty much the best running community a girl could belong to, (did you like how I did that? Segue QUEEN is what you should call me). I will be forever grateful to the little RBF logo/link I followed from the (sadly, on hiatus) folks at Longest Mile, which led me to all you fabulous people. If you want to know why I rave about YOU so much, go read the comments you left on my last post.**

My family, though they continue to be baffled by all my running, are proving how supportive they can be (at least the marathon isn't in Africa, my mother would tell me, if she knew that there WERE marathons in Africa). If you could only see the grocery list I sent my poor mother of all the food I needed to have this weekend, including gatorade, whole wheat pasta, all-natural peanut butter, and many, many, many other things. And how much of the food am I actually going to manage to eat this weekend? Let's not worry about that, m'kay?

My older brother, currently sitting next to me on the couch, has flown all the way from NY (taking two days off from his busy life as a real estate lawyer) to carry extra water bottles and cheer for me. And he would do more, except that I have conscripted my father into many of the least rewarding jobs, including driving me to the start line on Sunday morning, BEFORE the crack of dawn. And he's coming back two-and-a-half hours later with my brother and Deanna, because I was afraid they would get lost in Miami and not make it to mile 16 in time. (I'm neurotic. We know this by now.)

He has also given me the world's coolest gift: his digital camera. (He has an electronics recycling program—whenever he wants to buy something new, he passes the old version to one of his children. Can you tell how spoiled I am?)

Ostensibly, the camera is for Africa. But I'm already putting it to use to bore you, my dear interweb readers.

Remember how I told you I brought two pairs of running shoes? And remember how you thought that was a stupid waste of space? And remember how I agreed with you, but couldn't bring myself to choose between my sturdy, reliable Asics, and my beloved Mizunos, which I wore in the first marathon, and which I've rotated in for my longest training runs?

Well I when I pulled my shoes out of my suitcase, I realized that I really shouldn't have bothered bringing both pairs. Sadly, the Muzunos are no more:


Rest in peace, my favorite, lime green sneakers.

Long live the Asics (shown here at a crrrrazy angle... I may have to get used to this new camera thing). They're heavier, and not as cute, but as of Sunday, they will have run a marathon.


Next time I type here, I will be wearing this:

As described on the Miami marathon web site: The most unique finisher's medal ever designed for runners. The 2006 medal is amazing, it has a double spin! The center spins and so does the bottom. Miami is the official home of the original spinner.

Tell me you're not jealous.


**Tim, for the purposes of this thank you, I'm counting you as a member of the RBF. You're a member of my running family, and you have blog. QED.

4 Comments:

Blogger Joyce said...

Good Luck!

10:08 PM  
Blogger Darrell said...

Go for it. Don't stop till you see that cool metal!

1:56 AM  
Blogger Dallen said...

Good luck!

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck, habibti! I'll be thinking of you!

5:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home